Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Power of Persuasion

This week in SEDU 183, we were required to create a lesson plan using a standard which related to the subject and grade level we are planning to teach after graduation.  The standards we had to choose from can be found at www.pdesas.org

Since I am a great fan of the written word and feel that proper writing skills are a vital component to every student's education and future success, I chose to formulate a lesson plan intended for 9th graders on persuasive writing.  My narrative explaining the lesson plan can be viewed by clicking the following link:  http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document-preview.aspx?doc_id=113375909

I am relatively new to the idea of using PowerPoint as a teaching tool.  I graduated from high school in 1989.  There was no such thing as PowerPoint ... or SmartBoards ... or whiteboards for that matter.  The only technology I was exposed to during my high school years were film projectors with reels of film, not slides, and the occasional overhead projector. 

Since I returned to college, a majority of my professors use PowerPoint but to a limited extent.  The professors that I have encountered use PowerPoint to highlight key points from the text and provide enough information to pass a test.  I haven't had a class yet that uses any type of graphic in a PowerPoint ... just text. 

Keeping in mind my audience, those in the 9th grade, I had a great time browsing Google images for graphics, YouTube for an age appropriate educational video and the animation features to make the PowerPoint more appealing to the students viewing it. 

Overall, I found it an enjoyable experience.  It took me quite awhile to figure everything out but I do believe that I completed this project to the best of my ability.  If you would like to see the final project, please click here. Enjoy! Power of Persuasion

No comments:

Post a Comment